THE MAREE MCKAY-ESTHER SMILEY
ACADEMIC ALUMNI SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Each year, for more than 38 years, the Alumni Association has awarded academic scholarships to outstanding juniors at Slippery Rock. The Maree McKay-Esther Smiley scholarships are awarded to students with at least a 3.25 QPA and have been involved in campus or community life. Eligibility is not limited to a specific field or area of study. Up to seven annual scholarships consisting of approximately $1,000 per academic year will be awarded. This is a one-time award per recipient.
- Applicant must have earned a minimum of 60 semester hours by the conclusion of the fall ‘12 semester. Only students with Junior status will be considered. Junior status is 60 – 89 completed credits.
- A maximum of thirty-six transfer credit hours may be applied to obtain the minimum 60 semester hour requirement.
- Nominees must have demonstrated scholastic ability, earning a minimum cumulative quality point average of 3.25 (verified.)
- Nominees must have demonstrated involvement in university activities and/or community service.
Application forms are available from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation by staff/faculty currently employed by Slippery Rock University, including statements acknowledging the candidate’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans must also be included. Statement must include scholarship’s name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Nominees must have filed all information listed above by November 26, 2012, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
The Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
TERMS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University, for the fall and spring semesters following the awarding of the scholarship. Each winner shall be awarded approximately five hundred dollars ($500) per semester. Winners shall be informed by phone & letter.
If the recipient, for any reason, does not complete the full year of scholarship, any remaining monies from the scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association.