MAREE MCKAY/ESTHER SMILEY ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP
Miss McKay was an SRU employee from 1921 to 1951 and served as Registrar for many years. She was known for her concern of class schedules. Pauline Smiley established the Esther Wagner Smiley '22 Fund in memory of her mother through her estate. Funds were combined with the Maree McKay Academic Scholarship to help recognize academic achievement. The first Maree McKay Academic Scholarship was awarded in 1973. Seven annual scholarships of $1, 240 will be awarded.
- Applicant must have earned a minimum of 60 semester hours by the conclusion of the fall ‘14 semester. Only students with junior status will be considered.
- A maximum of thirty-six transfer credit hours may be applied to obtain the minimum 60 semester hour requirement.
- Applicant must demonstrate scholastic ability, earning a minimum cumulative quality point average of 3.25. (Verified)
- Applicant must demonstrate involvement in university activities and/or community service.
The application form is available online and from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057. Any questions can be directed to email@example.com or 1-800-GET-ROCK.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation by staff/faculty currently employed by Slippery Rock University, including statements acknowledging the candidate’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans. Statement must include scholarship name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
Applicants must submit all information listed above by 4 p.m. on Monday, December 1, 2014, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
No late or partial applications will be accepted.
Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until after January 31, 2015.
Terms of Scholarship
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University, for the fall and spring semesters following the awarding of the scholarship. Seven annual scholarships consisting of approximately one thousand two hundred forty dollars ($1,240) will be awarded. Winners shall be informed by phone & letter.
The Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
If the recipient, for any reason, does not complete the full year of scholarship, any remaining monies from the scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Maree McKay/Esther Smiley Academic Scholarship.
This is a one time award per recipient.