JEANNE POWELL FURRIE SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
The SRU Alumni Association is pleased to announce a scholarship opportunity being offered to students enrolled as Physical Education – Teaching Majors, preferably female, at Slippery Rock University. One scholarship of approximately $325 per academic year will be awarded. This is a one-time award per recipient.
- Applicant must currently be enrolled as a Physical Education – Teaching major.
- Female preferred.
- Nominees must have demonstrated involvement in community service and/or university activities.
- Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until January 31, 2014.
The application form, which is available online, is also available from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one from an individual employed by the university.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans must also be included. Statement must include scholarship’s name and can not be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Nominees must have filed all information listed above by December 2, 2013, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
The Scholarship and Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based on race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
TERMS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University, for the fall semester following the awarding of the scholarship. The winner shall be awarded approximately three hundred twenty-five dollars ($325). Winners shall be informed by phone and letter.
If the recipient, for any reason, does not complete the full semester of scholarship, any remaining monies from the scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Jeanne Powell Furrie Scholarship.