JEANNE POWELL FURRIE SCHOLARSHIP FOR PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Jeanne Powell Furrie, a 1945 graduate, established the Jeanne Powell Furrie Scholarship for physical education majors. A life member of the SRU Alumni Association, Jeanne grew up in New Kensington and considered only one institution for her undergratuate education. "My sister graduated from the Normal School in 1928," she said. "When it came time to go to school, it was a natural fit for me to go to Slippery Rock, and I've never regretted it." Jeanne was a physical education teacher from Penn Hills School District who passed away in 2013. One annual scholarship of $450 will be awarded.
- Applicant must currently be enrolled as a Physical Education – Teaching major.
- Female preferred.
- APPLICANTS MUST BE ENROLLED IN THE 2016-2017 ACADEMIC YEAR.
- Nominees must demonstrate involvement in community service and/or university activities.
The application form is available online and from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-GET-ROCK.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one from an individual employed by the university.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans. Statement must include scholarship name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
Applicants must submit all information listed above by 4 p.m. on December 7, 2015, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
No late or partial applications will be accepted.
Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until after January 31, 2016.
TERMS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University, for the fall semester following the awarding of the scholarship. The winner shall be awarded approximately $450. Winners shall be informed by phone and letter.
The Scholarship and Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based on race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
If the recipient, for any reason, does not complete the full semester of scholarship, any remaining monies from the scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Jeanne Powell Furrie Scholarship.
This is a one time award per recipient.