MAGGIE MEISE FELLOWSHIP FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
Maggie Duff Meise ’44 was a long-time volunteer for the SRU Alumni Association, serving as treasurer for many years. She was the wife of the late William Meise, dean of the graduate school. The Maggie Meise Fellowship, established in her memory, is awarded based on academic grades and demonstration of involvement in university activities and or community service.
Eligibility is not limited to a specific field or area of study. There will be one annual fellowship of up to $500 per academic year. This is a one-time award per recipient.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a graduate student at SRU to qualify for this fellowship.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of 9 graduate credit hours by end of current semester and shall demonstrate a minimal overall graduate QPA of 3.5 verified through university academic records.
- Nominees must have demonstrated involvement in university activities and/or community service.
Application form, available online, is also available from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center. Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation including statements acknowledging the candidate’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans must also be included. Statement must include scholarship’s name and can not be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Nominees must have filed all information listed above by November 26, 2012, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
The Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
TERMS OF THE FELLOWSHIP
Payment of the fellowship shall be through the Office of Alumni Engagement or transferred to the Office of Student Accounts for the remainder of the student’s enrollment following the awarding of the fellowship. The winner may use the fellowship for payment of tuition, student fees (Office of Student Accounts) or for payment of Thesis printing costs, graduating fees or textbooks (payment upon receipt to the Office of Engagement).
If the recipient, for any reason does not use the full amount of fellowship for the aforementioned purposes, any remaining monies from that fellowship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association.