FOR SOPHOMORE AND JUNIOR EDUCATION MAJORS
Madeline Farnen Stoops, a 1923 graduate of Slippery Rock, devoted 27 years to the teaching profession. Three annual scholarship of $1,000 will be awarded.
- Applicant must be an education major.
- Applicant must be currently enrolled as a sophomore or junior and ENROLLED IN THE 2016-2017 ACADEMIC YEAR.
- Applicant shall have earned a 3.5 QPA during their academic career at Slippery Rock University.
- Students shall be considered to have exceptional promise as future educators, as demonstrated in the classroom, in field experience, or by participation in special projects.
- Special consideration shall be given to residents of Butler County, Pennsylvania and to applicants from the state of Delaware.
The application form is available online and from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-GET-ROCK.
Completed applicants shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation including statements acknowledging the applicant’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans must also be included. Statement must include scholarship name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
Applicants must submit all information listed above by 4 p.m. on December 7, 2015, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
No late or partial applications will be accepted.
Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until after January 31, 2016.
Terms of Scholarship
Payment of the scholarship shall be through the Office of Student Accounts for the remainder of the student’s enrollment following the awarding of the scholarship. Three scholarships in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded. The winners are permitted to use the scholarship for payment of tuition only. If the recipient, for any reason does not use the full amount of scholarship for the aforementioned purposes, any remaining monies from that scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Madeline Farnen Stoops Scholarship.
The Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for one full year.
This is a one time award per recipient.