THE MADELINE FARNEN STOOPS SCHOLARSHIP
FOR SOPHOMORE AND JUNIOR EDUCATION MAJORS
Madeline Farnen Stoops, a 1923 graduate of Slippery Rock, devoted 27 years to the teaching profession. The Madeline Farnen Stoops Scholarships for Education Majors are awarded to students with at least a 3.5 QPA with special consideration given to residents of Butler County, Pennsylvania, or the state of Delaware.
There will be three annual scholarships of approximately $750 each per academic year 2014 - 2015. This is a one-time award per recipient.
- Applicant shall have earned a 3.5 QPA during their academic career at Slippery Rock University.
- Students shall be considered to have exceptional promise as future educators, as demonstrated in the classroom, in field experience, or by participation in special projects.
- Special consideration shall be given to residents of Butler County, Pennsylvania and to applicants from the state of Delaware.
Application form, if not attached, is available from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center. Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation including statements acknowledging the applicant’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans must also be included. Statement must include scholarship’s name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- Completed applications must be on file with the Office of Alumni Engagement by December 2, 2013.
- The Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for one full year.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until January 31, 2014.
TERMS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be through the Office of Student Accounts for the remainder of the student’s enrollment following the awarding of the scholarship. The winner may use the scholarship for payment of tuition only. If the recipient, for any reason does not use the full amount of scholarship for the aforementioned purposes, any remaining monies from that scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association.