SRU ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
CARL & NORMA LAUGHNER SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Applicants must be a relative (son/daughter, nephew/niece, grandson/granddaughter, spouse) to a current SRU Alumni Association member. Current means annual dues paying or life member. There will be one annual scholarship of approximately $1,375 per academic year. Eligibility is not limited to a specific field or area of study. This is a one-time award per recipient.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum of 12 credits by the conclusion of the fall ’13 semester. Only students with second-semester freshman through first-semester senior status will be considered.
- Transfer students must have earned at least 12 semester hours at Slippery Rock University to be eligible for this award.
- Applicants shall demonstrate a minimal overall QPA of 3.00.
- Nominees must have demonstrated involvement in university activities and community service.
- A completed application form.
- A letter proving relationship to a current member of the SRU Alumni Association.
- Two letters of recommendation including statements acknowledging the applicant’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans must also be included. Statement must include scholarship’s name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Nominees must have filed all information listed above by December 2, 2013, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
- Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until January 31, 2014.
TERMS OF SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University for the fall and spring semesters following the awarding of the scholarship.
If the recipient, for any reason does not complete the full year of scholarship, any remaining monies from that scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association.
The Scholarship and Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.