CARL & NORMA LAUGHNER SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship was established to honor Carl and Norma Watson Laughner '49 and '48. Mr. Laughner served as Director of Alumni Affairs for many years and Mrs. Laughner served as secretary of the Alumni Association for 20 years. Two annual scholarships of $875 will be awarded.
- Applicants must be a relative (son/daughter, nephew/niece, grandson/granddaughter, spouse) to a current SRU Alumni Association member. Current means annual dues paying or life member.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum of 12 credits by the conclusion of the fall ’16 semester. Only students with second-semester freshman through first-semester senior status will be considered.
- Transfer students must have earned at least 12 semester hours at Slippery Rock University to be eligible for this award.
- Applicants shall demonstrate a minimum overall QPA of 3.00. (Verified)
- APPLICANTS MUST BE ENROLLED IN THE 2017-2018 ACADEMIC YEAR.
- Applicants must have demonstrated involvement in university activities and community service.
The application form is available online and from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057. Any questions can be directed to email@example.com or 1-800-GET-ROCK.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation including statements acknowledging the applicant’s academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans. Statement must include scholarship name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Tips for submitting a successful scholarship application: Ask well in advance for reference letters, proof read all submissions, review all criteria and complete all necessary information on application.
Applicants must submit all information listed above by 4 p.m. on Friday, December 9, 2016, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
No late or partial applications will be accepted.
Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until after January 31, 2017.
Terms of Scholarship
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University for the fall and spring semesters following the awarding of the scholarship. The winners shall be awarded approximately $875. Winners shall be informed by phone and letter, Carl and Norma Laughner Scholarship.
This is a one time award per recipient.
The Scholarship and Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based upon race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
If the recipient, for any reason does not complete the full year of scholarship, any remaining monies from that scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Carl and Norma Laughner Scholarship.