PETER J. OESTERLING FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
The SRU Alumni Association scholarship committee, with the help of financial aid and pre-law advisement faculty, will select the Peter J. Oesterling Family Scholarship recipient each year. This scholarship will be in the amount of approximately $1,000 and awarded during the academic year 2014-2015.
- In pre-law advisement program, preferably Political Science Major
- First preference student who graduated from high school in Butler County
- Essay required: “If I were a lawyer I would…”
- Demonstrated financial need
- 2nd year students and up
- Can only receive scholarship once
- Letter of recommendation from faculty member
Application form, if not attached, is available from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form
- At least one letter of recommendation from an individual employed by the university.
- An essay on the topic “If I were a lawyer I would…”
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
- Nominees must have filed all information listed above by December 2, 2013, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
- Scholarship recipients will not be contacted until January 31, 2014.
The Scholarship and Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based on race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
TERMS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University, for the fall semester following the awarding of the scholarship. The winner shall be awarded approximately one thousand dollars ($1,000). Winners shall be informed by phone and letter.
If the recipient, for any reason, does not complete the full semester of scholarship, any remaining monies from the scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Peter J. Oesterling Family Scholarship.