Hallie Dugan and Nancy Smith Scholarship
Hallie Dugan Smith graduated from Slippery Rock Normal School in 1922 and spent most of her career as a sixth-grade teacher in the Crafton School District. The Smith family started this scholarship in her memory and it was awarded from 2003 through 2007. Nancy Smith Angell’s daughter and son-in-law, Cathy and Sundeep Dugar, expanded the scholarship in memory of their mother and mother-in-law. Nancy was a 1954 graduate who also taught at the elementary level. Both Hallie and Nancy were devoted to teaching and making a difference in children’s lives. The scholarship is offered to sophomore and first semster junior elementary education majors demonstrating a grade-point average of at least 3.25.
- Applicant shall demonstrate a minimum overall QPA of 3.25. (Verified)
- Applicant must be an elementary education/early childhood major.
- Applicant must be either a sophomore or first semester junior by the conclusion of the fall 2014 semester.
The application form is available online and from the Office of Alumni Engagement, Russell Wright Alumni House & Conference Center, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA 16057. Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-GET-ROCK.
Completed applications shall include the following:
- A completed application form.
- Two letters of recommendation including statements acknowledging the applicants academic achievement and evidence of academic initiative.
- A one-page typed statement, with a minimum of one hundred words, from the applicant describing his/her character, personal interests and future plans. Statement must include scholarship name and cannot be used for multiple scholarships.
- No photographs will be accepted.
- Please proofread your application. Spelling, grammar and legibility are factors in determining awards.
Applicants must submit all information listed above by 4 p.m. on Monday, December 1, 2014, with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
No late or partial applications will be considered.
TERMS OF THE SCHOLARSHIP
Payment of the scholarship shall be placed on deposit with the Office of Student Accounts, Slippery Rock University, for the fall semester following the awarding of the scholarship. The winner shall be awarded approximately five hundred dollars ($500). Winners shall be informed by phone and letter.
The Scholarship and Awards Committee reserves the right, if necessary, to conduct personal interviews of the final candidates for the award. No distinction shall be made based on race, color, creed, gender or age. No applications will be returned, but will remain on file in the Office of Alumni Engagement for a full year.
If the recipient, for any reason, does not complete the full semester of scholarship, any remaining monies from the scholarship shall be returned to the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association, Hallie Dugan and Nancy Smith Scholarship.
This is a one time award per recipient.